We always advise all our Conference attendees to take out travel insurance. We suggest you take out travel insurance when you book your trip just in case something happens before you leave that stops you going.
Travel Insurance is a must if you become unwell on the ship or on land – it can end up costing you a small fortune to obtain medical assistance. If you are really crook it can cost an additional fortune to evacuate you back to Australia.
You need to really look at the insurance cover you require. Insurance cover is not the same from each company and can cover different things – let’s look at some key considerations for you to be aware of:
Why get Travel Insurance
If you are travelling overseas:
- The Australian Government will not cover your costs
- Holidays don’t always go as planned – bad things happen to good people
- Some countries will not let you enter unless you have insurance
If you are travelling in Australia:
- Insurance can cover your costs if you need to cancel the trip
- You can cover your baggage for theft or loss
- Some policies will cover car hire excess.
Before you buy travel insurance consider:
- Where you are going
- How long you are going for
- What are you going to do there
- Are you taking valuable items
- Do you have any medical conditions
You would not believe the number of people who decide that a third world country, that they have never been to, is the best place to hire a motorbike and take their best mate for a drive through the busiest street in the country!
The cheapest insurance is not necessarily the best. Even though 33% of people buy the cheapest available without looking at what is covered – then complain loudly when they need to make a claim and the issue is not covered.
Understand what you are covered for
- Does it cover a Pre-existing medical condition
- If you have a disability you may be required to take out additional insurance
- If you are pregnant there are a number of issues that you need to review when selecting cover
- “Many travel insurers won’t provide cover of any kind for in-hospital care, medication, or missed travel caused by a mental health condition, whether that’s depression, anxiety or a psychotic episode.”
- If you are planning a sports or adventure holiday then you need to identify that as there may be items that you will not be covered for
Choose what’s right for you
Travel is a wonderful opportunity so don’t let applying for Travel insurance put you off. Apply early and compare products. The information for this post came from CHOICE magazine via the Smart Traveller website.
Click here>> for the CHOICE document
Click here>> for the Smart Traveller Website
Enjoy where your Travel CPD can take you!